The First Step

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." - Kate Moss

Two months ago, that statement was downright hilarious to me. Welcoming the challenge of proving this model wrong, my mind started to wander to the plethora of guilty pleasures I have indulged in. Ranging from countless bowls of queso to endless pints of Blue Bell ice cream, I scoffed at her. She must have never tasted New York Style pizza (with extra cheese)!
As of today, no longer do I find humor in this statement. It's what we all hate to hear...the truth.
For years, people have told me that I carry my weight well. That always made me feel good. Even though I was a plus size girl, I continued telling myself that I could get away with it. That was until I reached a point that even a stubborn Gemini couldn't deny.

I weighed in at 289 pounds.

After seeing that, pictures started to catch my attention. Pictures of myself from just this summer. For the first time in my life, I accepted something that I denied for the past 11 years.

I had let myself get fat.

My overly sensitive self had censored that word and this reality for way too long. By not admitting this to myself, what was I protecting myself from? Health? Happiness? Hottie status?
I made a promise to my husband, Jeff and myself. That I would not stay this size. A couple of weeks later, we both agreed to begin this journey together.

Since then, I have lost 21 pounds. Jeff has lost 24.
We didn't have a surgery. We didn't take a diet pill. We didn't do a fast or detox.
Our lifestyle has changed.
Our mindset has changed.
I have a goal weight of 150. Though I have a long way to go, I've made a dent. I have faith that I will continue this process, regardless of plateaus. I have too many people supporting me to feel any different!

  Before

Progress - 21 lbs

5 comments:

Jess said...

I am so proud of you friend!!!
<3

Sars said...

I'm proud of you, too! I've been told that I carry my weight well, too - I hate it!

Cheryl Cory at Ebby Halliday Realtors said...

You're already an inspiration!

Unknown said...

So glad I found your blog! Great job to both of you. I myself have started the same thing and am in great need of stories like yours that I can totally relate to. This is my first week and I am not blogging it but Pinteresting my journey (this time). The difference...this time I am making a commitment to change my life, not just my weight =) Good luck!

texangel81 said...

I like that you're taking the approach about making a "lifestyle change." It's not just about dieting and exercising. It's about making conscious decisions about your health: physically, mentally and emotionally.
You're an inspiration!! Keep it up!! xoxoxo

Post a Comment


up